Please read the brief description AND the attached documents for the FULL INFORMATION
Position Title: Associate University Counsel
Campus: Western University Campus-Pomona, CA
Under the direction of the General Counsel, this position is responsible for providing counsel and support to the University on a broad spectrum of issues to help fulfill the University’s mission and meet all legal and higher education compliance obligations. Subject matter areas include student affairs, faculty affairs, labor and employment, policy development, Title IX, Clery, intellectual property, research, and others. This position is also responsible for facilitating the review, negotiation, and approval process of contracts, including reviewing, modifying, approving and routing agreements for execution on behalf of the University.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individual must possess the knowledge, as well as the following skills and abilities, and be able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without a reasonable accommodation, using a combination of skills and abilities.
1. Demonstrated ability to develop institutional policies and procedures.
2. Strong legal research, writing and analysis skills.
3. Ability to advise clients on time-sensitive issues, which may include complex dynamics.
4. Advanced knowledge of contracting principles, including developing/drafting of contracts, negotiations, contract interpretation, research skills and conducting a contract risk assessment.
5. Advanced written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to clearly and effectively provide information, which is logically and grammatically correct, to internal and external audiences in a timely manner.
6. Excellent judgment, attention to detail, and ability to maintain strict confidentiality of sensitive and/or legally privileged information.
7. Consistently exhibits a professional and positive attitude, demeanor and ability to establish and maintain cooperative and mutually supporting working relationships across the Colleges/Departments.
8. High level of computer and web research proficiency, including Microsoft Office applications, database applications, etc.
9. Strong organization, planning, analytical and problem resolution abilities.
10. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision; prioritize and consistently complete tasks while working under deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
11. Ability to consistently and reliably respond to voicemails, emails and other correspondences in a timely fashion.
12. Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and sensitivity to privacy.
13. Understand and manage risk and compliance issues in a complex environment.
-Education: Bachelors Degree, J.D. degree -Experience: Three to five years’ experience in higher education, contract drafting/negotiation, and/or making complex administrative decisions, interpreting and applying rules, regulations, policies and/or procedures; or a combination thereof.
-Licenses: Active California State Bar membership
Experience working in health-care/managed-care setting and with related contracts.
List comments regarding work hours:
8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Mon-Friday; some weekends and evenings. Travel may be required. Position is currently designated as temporary remote until December 31, 2021. After December 31, 2021, the position may continue to participate in a hybrid remote capacity, subject to the University’s telecommuting policies and procedures.