1. Responsible for the planning, development, and evaluation of the family medicine curriculum including topics, courses, and methods of instruction which relate to family medicine.
2. Promotes, by example and precepting, a general atmosphere of respect for knowledge, thought, and inquiry in family medicine within the University.
3. Contributes to the planning, development, and evaluation of courses and academic programs within the college and university.
4. Plans and manages the departmental budget, allocating funds appropriately to efficiently utilize resources. Project future departmental budgetary needs (operational and personnel) and provide proposals with documentation during the budget planning cycle.
5. Evaluates departmental faculty and staff members according to their job descriptions and consistent with departmental, college, and university standards.
6. Provides vision and leadership in departmental strategic planning taking into consideration input by the departmental faculty, the college administration, outside stakeholders, and national benchmarks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledges, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Able and willing to practice the full scope of family medicine as currently defined by WesternU.
2. Ability to effectively communicate with others, in person, in writing and utilizing a telephone. Ability to effectively interact with administration, faculty, staff and students.3. Must possess strong organizational, management and administrative abilities.
4. Be committed to a career in academic medicine in the field of osteopathic family practice.
-Education: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) degree. Current AOA or ABMS board certification in Family Medicine/Family Practice.
-Experience: Minimum of 5 years of experience in teaching and academic leadership in a medical education setting.
-Licensure: Unrestricted California licensure (or eligibility for California licensure). Unrestricted Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) certificate.
List comments regarding work hours:
Regular business hours: Mon-Fri, 8:00am-5:00pm. Some evenings and weekends may be required.